Home

Wike: Demolition of structures on waterways to cut across Abuja

Nyesom Wike, minister of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), says the ongoing demolition of structures blocking drainage channels will extend beyond Maitama District to other parts of Abuja.

In a statement on Wednesday by Rabi Umar, deputy director, press, in the office of the minister, Wike said the exercise would continue across the territory as part of efforts to tackle flooding and enforce the Abuja master plan.

TheCable had reported that the Federal Capital Territory Administration (FCTA) began demolishing buildings erected on waterways in the nation’s capital on Tuesday, following Wike’s directive.

Speaking after inspecting ongoing projects in Abuja on Wednesday, Wike said the administration would not halt the demolition regardless of those affected.

We just started somewhere. After that, we will move to another area. We are not going to end where we started yesterday. We are very serious and I can tell you that we are not going back. It doesn’t matter who is affected,” he said.

“You went to block a water channel, is that due process? I’m the one following due process to make sure the right thing is being done.

“By the time we remove those structures that block the water channel, there will be free flow of water to where it is supposed to be.

The minister also announced a ban on the unauthorised conversion of green areas, parks and recreational spaces into car dealerships and parking lots.

He said a task force had been established to remove car dealers operating in such areas, including locations around Millennium Park.

“You can imagine, everywhere you have green areas, you have carports now. So, I’ve already stopped it, and I’ve set up a task force to make sure that every car dealer is moved out of the green areas,” he said.

The minister added that Nancy Nathan, the FCT head of service, had summoned relevant directors to explain how approvals were issued for car dealers to operate in green areas.

Wike also expressed satisfaction with the progress of several road projects inspected during the tour and commended China Civil Engineering Construction Corporation (CCECC) for continuing work despite receiving less than 30 percent mobilisation funding.

He said at least 10 major infrastructure projects would be commissioned in the FCT before the end of the year.

Comments